When Portugal was established in the 12th century, Matosinhos already existed - it was called at that time Vila de Matesinum. At that time Matosinhos was a humble place, part of the parish of Sandim. Matosinhos has some local landmarks such as Forte de Nossa Senhora Da Conceirçâo.
The Memória Beach in Matosinhos shows an historical element: the Memória (“memory”) Obelisk, which marks the end of the Absolutism in Portugal. The obelisk marks the spot where in 1832 the Kind Don Pedro IV disembarked with his troops.
In the S. Paio area three engravings other than the "polishing stones" were identified in the 1960's by the Castro discoverer Fernando Lanhas. These three engravings suggest a strong symbolism with the whole area. The southern engraving seems to be a Nordic runic alphabet element and a symbol to evoke divine protection. It can be traced to the Iron Age, but it is more likely to have come from some Norman Viking camp that was built in the area.